Monday, July 20, 2009

RIP, Frank McCourt. Have a pint on me...














Is it just me or are famous people dropping like flies. Over the weekend, we had Cronkrite and now Pulitzer Prize winning author Frank McCourt.

McCourt's McCourt's award winning book, Angela's Ashes, has one of the best opening paragraphs I have ever read:
“When I look back on my childhood, I wonder how I survived at all,” begins the book’s second paragraph. “It was, of course, a miserable childhood: The happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood."
That book stayed at the top of the bestseller for two years, selling over 4 million hardcovers. Despite his ability as an author, McCourt's best contribution was probably the lives he touched as a school teacher in New York City school system for over 30 years.
Rest in peace, Frank. Save a seat at the bar for the rest of us.

No comments: