Sunday, October 26, 2008

The future of the word "conservative"


As Inigio Montoya says, "you keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means."*
Sullivan has a good post on how the word no longer means what the they think it means. He links to William Randolph who has a true quote of the times: "there are only so many times I can tell people that I'm a conservative, but not that kind of conservative before it becomes clear that I'm using the wrong word."


Now you know what liberals have felt like since Carter.


*other Inigio Montoya facts:
-said: "Hello. My name is Íñigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die".
-is not left-handed
-was so slobbering drunk when found by Vizzini, that he could not even buy brandy. Vizzini hired him to help start a war, a prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition
-he cannot swim
-is looking for a 6-fingered man
-he has dedicated his life to the study of fencing and is familiar with Bonetti's defense, Capo Ferro and Agrippa

No comments: